Whole Bone-In Ham
1. With the shank or lower leg to the carver's right, steady the ham with a fork and cut a few slices from the thin side of the leg.
2. Place the ham on the side where you removed slices. Make perpendicular slices to the leg bone.
3. To loosen the slices, cut along the leg bone, removing each slice with the fork.
Shank Half/Portion Ham
1. With the thicker piece of meat – the “cushion” meat – on top, use a fork to steady the ham and cut along the top of the bone to loosen the boneless cushion meat.
2. Place the cushion meat carved-side down on the cutting board and cut in perpendicular slices. Transfer slices to a serving platter.
3. Turn the remaining meat carved-side down and remove large boneless sections in the same fashion as above. Place boneless sections, as they are removed, on the cutting board and cut in perpendicular slices in the same manner as for the cushion meat.
Butt Half/Portion Ham
1. Place pre-cut side of ham down on the cutting board. Carve along the bone to remove boneless section of meat.
2. Slice boneless section across the grain and transfer to a serving platter.
3. To carve the remaining meat from the bone, insert fork into meat next to bone and make horizontal slices as shown. Transfer slices to a serving platter.